1. Which of these statements is true concerning the USDA Animal Welfare Act?
a. The USDA stands for United States Department of Assessments
b. The USDA is responsible for enforcing the Animal Withholding Action Act passed by Congress.
c. The USDA passed the Animal Welfare Act, and Congress has released regulations to enforce it.
d. They take precedence over guidelines produced by the Public Health Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, and other government agencies.
2. Which PHS organization is responsible for monitoring institutional compliance with PHS Policy?
a. The Animal and Plant Heath Inspection Service. b. The Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW, formerly OPRR).
c. The Fish and Wildlife Service.
d. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
3. What are the two principal animal research regulatory documents used by the Public Health Service?
a. The PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the Policy Manual.
b. The PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the AWA Regulations and Standards.
c. The AWA regulations and standards and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
d. The PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the "Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals."
4. Which of the following institutions must follow PHS guidelines for animal research?
a. Those institutions that use any animals for research, teaching, or testing.
b. All institutions that accept PHS funding.
c. Those institutions that use vertebrate animals for research, teaching, or testing.
d. Those institutions that accept USDA research funds.
5. Unlike the USDA AWA regulations, PHS Policy applies to which animals?
6. Which of the following is a role of AAALAC?
a. Shares information with other regulatory agencies like USDA and PHS.
b. Produces additional regulations and guidelines that govern animal use.
c. Sponsors a voluntary accreditation program for animal care and use programs.
d. Sponsors an accreditation program mandated by USDA and PHS.
7. The USDA AWA regulations do not currently apply to which of the following animals?
8. Which of the following “Guides” is best used as a source of guidelines for animals housed in farm settings?
a. The "Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals."
b. The "Guide to Animal Facility Design and Operation."
c. The "Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Agricultural Research and Teaching."
d. The "Guide to Proper Procedures in Research Facilities."
9. Prior to beginning any work involving research animals, an investigator must do which of the following?
a. Complete animal protocol forms, then receive administrative approval to conduct proposed procedures.
b. Fill out animal protocol forms describing all proposed procedures, and receive IACUC approval.
c. Receive IACUC approval for the proposed procedures, then fill out animal protocol forms.
d. Contact the IACUC chairperson to receive administrative approval for proposed procedures, then complete animal protocol forms.